Welcome to the TRO Website! Our website consists of information about the grassroots TRO organization as well as specific information about the field of Therapeutic Recreation. There is a student centre page containing valuable resources for any current or prospective students, news and events such as upcoming continuing education opportunities, job postings and more. If you are not already a member, see the TRO membership page to find out about all the benefits of membership and how you can sign up to join this vibrant organization.
Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO) was created in 1999, with the goal of uniting and advancing the Therapeutic Recreation (TR) profession, by providing guidance and support for its members. In addition to networking opportunities and educational events, TRO provides resources to help Therapeutic Recreation professionals develop quality services and advocates to advance the profession in order to protect the rights of individuals across diverse delivery settings throughout the province.
TRO maintains a fiscally responsible budget utilizing your membership dues in a variety of ways. Membership dues are put towards building and maintaining the TRO website including many members-only pages. TRO has made it a priority to advocate for the TR profession and membership dues go toward attending other conferences/trade shows and promotional items. The Board of Directors from across the province require financial support for board meetings, occasional use of consultants, insurance and travel expenses. Additionally, TRO utilizes membership dues toward compensation for our staff and office supplies.
Please click the link below that will direct you to the Registration page on the website.
Student members of TRO have access to the same benefits as professionals with the exception of voting. Click on our Student Centre page to view a list of benefits most relevant to students including the searchable membership directory, job postings, free downloads of TRPR TRO journals and resources for students such as “Stand-Out Internship/Placement” and “Preparing for TR Job Interviews”. Our Student Centre is the place on the TRO website where you will find useful information such as college and universities that offer TR programs in Ontario, TRO student contests and awards and requirements to earn your Registration (R/TRO, R/TRO DIP) designation.
Please visit the Professional Liability Insurance page of the website.
TR Associations and Related Organizations
TRO works together with other TR associations and related organizations including regional professional associations across the province, the Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association (CTRA), other TR organizations throughout Canada and the United States as well as our partners such as Activity Professionals of Ontario (APO) and Parks and Recreation Ontario (PRO). Please see below for a list of websites for other related organizations.
Regional Therapeutic Recreation Associations in Ontario
- Brant Therapeutic Recreation Group
- Hamilton Therapeutic Recreation Group
- Niagara Therapeutic Recreation Network
- Therapeutic Recreation Association of Waterloo-Wellington
- Toronto Therapeutic Recreation Network
- TRO-Eastern Region
Therapeutic Recreation Associations in Canada
- Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association
- British Columbia Therapeutic Recreation Association
- Alberta Therapeutic Recreation Association
- Saskatchewan Association of Recreation Professional
- Manitoba Therapeutic Recreation Association
- Regina Therapeutic Recreation Association
- Quebec Association of Activity Professionals
- Newfoundland and Labrador Therapeutic Recreation
- Nova Scotia Recreation Professionals in Health
International Therapeutic Recreation Associations
International Therapeutic Recreation Credentialing
Other Related Links
- Activity Professionals of Ontario
- Ontario Long Term Care Association
- Parks and Recreation Ontario
- Leisure Information Network
- Coalition for Active Living
- Get Active Now
- Active Adult Magazine
- Concepts du Sablier
- TR Book Publisher Idyll Arbor
- Canadian Wheelchair Sports Association
- Therapeutic Recreation Directory
- Venture Publishing TR Book Publisher
- Melody Lane Productions Video's for Seniors
- Professional Administrators of Volunteer Resources - Ontario (PAVR-O)
- Human Kinetics Publishers
- Keeping Busy: Activities for Older Adults
- DementiabilityEnterprises Inc.
- ETAG Online
- Funding: New Horizons for Seniors Program
- Active Living Aliance
- National Centre for Physical Activity & Disability
- Access to Recreation
- Sports ‘n Spokes Magazine
- Minding our Bodies
- Exercise is Medicine
- BAM! Body and Mind
- Playfully Practical
- Ontario Association of Residents' Councils (OARC)
- Alzheimer Society Ontario: Finding Your Way
Submit a Link
Please click here to submit a link to the TRO website.