TRO Adrienne Gilbert Student Award of Excellence
This award recognizes the outstanding contributions of students within and outside of their academic programs. In celebrating the academic and extra-curricular accomplishments of students, we highlight the vast array of experiences and knowledge that these future professionals bring to our field.
2018 Award Winner:
Haley Bauman, University of Waterloo
Therapeutic Recreation Ontario renamed the "TRO Student Award of Excellence" the "Adrienne Gilbert Student Award of Excellence" in 2012 when Adrienne Gilbert retired as a way of acknowledging the significant contributions that she made for so many years in the education of TR students.
Adrienne Gilbert made significant contributions to the field of Therapeutic Recreation not only as a well-respected faculty member in the Bachelor of Therapeutic Recreation Program at University of Waterloo, but also through her countless hours volunteering in various positions on the TRO Board of Directors.
Past Award Winners:
|2017||Megan Duquette, Niagara College|
|2016||Nancy Kahl, Mohawk College|
|2015||Lisa Coleman, University of Waterloo|
|2014||Alycia Leonard, Lambton College|
|2013||Jenna Derkson-Scott, Niagara College|
The Winner Receives:
- Complimentary TRO Conference Registration for the current year (>$200.00 value)
- Professional Contribution points for initial Registration (R/TRO, R/TRO DIP) application (awarded=4, nominated=2)
- Recognition at the Annual TRO Conference Awards Ceremony Dinner (includes 2 complimentary tickets)
- TRO Certificate
- TRO Award
- Recognition to members in various TRO communications: TRO website, TRO Blog, e-TRO, social media etc.
Open to TRO Student members enrolled in full-time studies in Therapeutic Recreation at the undergraduate or Ontario College Graduate Certificate level. Past recipients of the Adrienne Gilbert Student Award of Excellence are ineligible to re-apply for the award.
Reference Letter Guidelines:
The purpose of the TRO Adrienne Gilbert Student Award of Excellence is to recognize the outstanding contributions of students within and outside of their academic programs. As part of the application process, students are asked to solicit two letters of reference. The following guidelines have been designed to assist you in writing your letter. Please address the following points in the reference letter:
|One letter from an Academic Instructor||One letter from a TR Professional|
Overall leadership abilities of the student
Personal Character (e.g., integrity, interpersonal skills, initiative, critical thinking ability)
Level of interest and knowledge in therapeutic recreation
Accomplishments (please include any relevant examples of initiatives, self directed learning, etc.)
Professionalism (e.g., professional conduct, ability to relate with clients, staff and volunteers)
All identifying information will be removed prior to selection committee review
The Awards Sub-Committee consists of a minimum of 3 volunteers including: at least one representative from the Membership and Professional Services Committee and up to six TRO members (the TRO Communications Coordinator is an ex-officio member). It is responsible for reviewing TRO award nominations and will forward recommendations to the Membership and Professional Services Committee for approval by the TRO board of directors.
Requirements of Award Recipient:
The successful award recipient will be required to submit an article on their experience as award winner to the TRO Blog.
Anyone may nominate a student TRO member for this award.
Nominators: please provide us with the student's name and contact information. You as the nominator do not have to complete the questions below. Please send student's name, student's email and name of award to the Communications Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominees: You are required to complete the nomination package including 2 letters of reference, your resume and the form below.
- Download the award nomination form questions, complete and save on your computer. Upload your completed form (describing how your nominee meets the criteria for this award) where indicated in the award nomination form below. Complete and submit the award nomination form. Download TRO Adrienne Gilbert Student Award of Excellence Nomination Form Questions
- Using the Reference Letter Guidelines above, ensure that your two letters of reference on official letterhead have been emailed from the source directly to: email@example.com by nomination deadline.
If you have any questions about the award nomination process, please contact the Communications Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your involvement in the award application process!