Post-Secondary Curriculum Review for Student Designation Eligibility
The purpose of the TR Curriculum Review for Designation Eligibility process is to assess the curriculum of TR programs (diploma, degree and certificate) to determine alignment with the Essential Competency Framework (ECF). The goal is to standardize curricula across Ontario so that students will experience a consistent academic and practical education, which will effectively prepare them to be able to apply for their designation (R/TRO, R/TRO DIP) upon graduation. Developed by experienced practitioners and educators, the ECF identifies competencies that Recreation Therapy practitioners should have upon graduation from their educational institution, and should continue to practice throughout their career as a Recreation Therapist.
The following schools have voluntarily provided their curriculum for review:
The TRO Practice Review Committee has determined their curriculum to be in alignment with the Essential Competency Framework. Therefore, graduates from the following programs may follow “Pathway A” in the Practical Experience section of the Designation Application Package (R/TRO, R/TRO DIP). Graduates from programs not listed below should follow “Pathway B”.
- Georgian College – Ontario College TR Graduate Certificate Program (Aug. 2016)
- Mohawk College – Recreation Therapy Diploma Program (Aug. 2016)
- Niagara College – Recreation Therapy Diploma Program (Nov. 2015)
- University of Waterloo – Therapeutic Recreation Degree Program (Nov. 2015)
- Seneca College – Therapeutic Recreation Degree Program (Aug. 2018)
- St. Lawrence College – Therapeutic Recreation Graduate Certificate program (Feb. 2019)
- Algonquin College – Therapeutic Recreation Graduate Certificate program (Dec. 2020)
Schools which intend to submit for the TR Curriculum Review should complete the Declaration to Submit the TR Curriculum Review for Designation Eligibility form below and identify the submission deadline the Practice Review Committee can expect your application. The dates to submit for TR Curriculum Review for Designation Eligibility are June 30 and December 30 anually. Download the Declaration to Submit your Form.
Tips for Submitting Your Application Package
- Use this as a great team-building exercise! Get your TR department together to prepare the application. It’s a great way to share your lesson plans, lecture content and get to know each other’s teaching styles! Plus, it reduces the hours needed to prepare the application for each person.
- Be sure to follow the submission instructions, and to organize and label the curriculum content so supporting documentation related to each performance indicator is easy to find. This makes the process much easier for the review committee, and also reduces the likelihood that you will be contacted to re-submit.